15. Asked a French publisher a question by email (second question in two weeks) and she replied, ‘As I told you … ‘. Funny how this structure is normal in French, but abrasive in English.
16. Saw a huge woman in a bikini come out into her garden and lie on a sun lounge. Bikinis are not seen in Canberra, even now it’s summer, except at the pool.
17. What I thought was a small bird landing on my tree was actually a large swallowtail butterfly.
18. This morning I translated Claude Aveline’s comic reworking of the story of Jonah being thrown off a ship in a wild tempest, and an hour later a student asked me to teach her The Wreck of the Hesperus, a poem about a ship wrecked in a wild tempest.
19. A sign that a neighbour made for a garden seat outside her house – Lockdown Garden 2020 – reminded me we can’t predict the future.
20. From a free library I picked up a tiny children’s book, 3 x 2 inches, 1/2 inch thick. It contains 3 copies of the same story, Feathers for Phoebe by Rod Clement.
21. Had dinner at a local golf club where the golfers were leaving the course, no doubt because kangaroos had moved into their space.